Friday, October 26, 2012

(not so secret) family recipe

my aunt carol lee makes the best beef stroganoff. period.
my mom and my grandma have made beef stroganoff but both of them will step aside and readily admit that my aunt makes the best. so i sent my aunt a note (like a real note on paper in the mail) asking for said recipe. she shared the recipe. but as most family recipes go, it was not written down with specific quantities, making it a little difficult to replicate.
tonight was my first attempt, and it was not a bad showing at all. i figure it will take a number of times to get it right. it looks like stroganoff and tasted liked stroganoff (it was actually very tasty) but it was not quite my aunt's. that's ok. i'm up for the challenge.
(side note: it took me years to get my mom's potato salad down, but it is worth every attempt now that i have it.)
guess i will have to make a trip to colorado to visit them, so that i can taste it again and makes some notes of my own...r&d trip sounds good to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment