Wednesday, September 5, 2012

albert's restaurant

it's nice to try new places, but it's also especially rewarding to take someone to one of your favorite restaurants so that they can experience what you like so much. last weekend, i took my partner to albert's at the san diego zoo.
i have been a couple of times before with colleagues and friends. but last saturday, we took my partner for his first time.
let me break down dinner plate by plate.
sourdough bread is so fresh, my partner burns his hands. and a very sour sourdough...delish!
we started with a large caesar salad. very fresh greens, cheese, croutons...delish!
usually i am drawn to the veggie-friendly dishes, but i surprised myself by ordering the braised short rib. to be fair, the sides are what drew me in (blackstrap molasses pinto beans and roasted corn hash).
ah! mazing! and the short rib was braised with a chili verde sauce that had a kick (the most awesome kick you can think of). my partner and my colleague both tried my entree and both did the same audible "mmmmmm" that i made when i ate it.
my partner ordered the slow-roasted pork loin with mustard bacon medallions and porcini mushrooms. it was served with garlic mashed potatoes and sauteed veggies. that too was delish!
most folks don't know that there is this very nice, full-service restaurant at the zoo. if you go, it's worth the wait (if you have to wait) or worth the time it takes to make a reservation (which we had). their chef (chris mirguet) and sous chef (charles boukas) do amazing work, and i think everyone should try it.
http://www.sandiegozoo.org/zoo/alberts

No comments:

Post a Comment